Becoming a Power Line Technician
Power Line Technician, or PLT, work at Maritime Electric is exciting and challenging. You work every day to serve over 83,000 customers in communities across PEI. Maritime Electric has a strong track record in safety and customer service.
Powering Opportunities for Women
Maritime Electric is currently working to create more opportunities for women to become Power Line Technicians.
- Completion of grade 12
- Eligibility to obtain a Class 3(A) vehicle license
- Related industrial or technical experience or Powerline Technician Course is considered an asset
- A tolerance for working both at heights and outside in all weather conditions
- English language and math competency
- An aptitude for using computers and computer applications
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and strong problem solving skills
- A strong belief in customer service, commitment to safety
- A team-player attitude!
Wondering what it’s like working at Maritime Electric? Check out these testimonials from some of our employees.
Check out this video from Manitoba Hydro's first female Power Line Technician, Jessica Hadfield, as she performs repairs to the electrical system and speaks about what led her to the trade.
The Office to Advance Women Apprentices Prince Edward Island is another organization on PEI committed to supporting and guiding tradeswomen and women entering apprenticeable trades through their apprenticeship to journeyperson.
Have more questions about working at Maritime Electric? Contact our Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us for a virtual information session to learn more about becoming a Power Line Technician!
Powering Opportunities for Women – PLT Positions – Virtual Information Sessions
Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 4 p.m.
Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11 a.m.
Stay tuned for more information on our Fall 2021 Power Line Technician (PLT) Apprenticeship Program, registration coming in Summer 2021!
Our Apprenticeship program is a paid training program that leads to a Journeyperson/Technician designation. Seats will be reserved for interested women.
Note: all videos were filmed with COVID-19 health and safety protocols in place.