Before contacting us at 1-800-670-1012 for assistance find the answers to the following questions...
Are your neighbours without power? If your neighbours have power then your breaker may have tripped or you may have blown a fuse.
Have you checked your main breaker?
Do you have part power?
Do you smell anything burning?
Did you hear a loud bang inside or outside the house?
Did you see a flash of light?
Do you see a wire down or hanging low outside?
Have you unplugged all electrical equipment?
During a Power Outage
Review our safety and household tips for what to do during an outage...
Get up-to-date with outage information by visiting our online outage map.
Follow the local weather reports.
Drain your water lines if there is a chance of water freezing.
Put non-toxic antifreeze in your toilet sink traps and floor drains.
Keep doors and drapes closed.
Turn your thermostats down to the lowest setting or switch them off.
Light your wood stove or fireplace before the house cools down.
Do not use camp stoves, barbecues, generators or kerosene heaters indoors (they emit carbon monoxide that could result in serious poisoning or fatality).
Do not enter your basement if it floods. An electricity source may have come in contact with an appliance. Call a professional electrician to disconnect your electricity. Never touch your circuit breaker or electrical outlets while standing in water or touching a wet surface with your hands.
When your electricity comes back on...
If your basement was flooded please call Maritime Electric at 1-800-670-1012 before turning on your power.
Turn up your thermostat 15 minutes after the electricity is back on.
Turn off your standby heating.
If you used antifreeze, flush your toilets, sinks and floor drains.
Plug in your appliances 15 minutes after the electricity is back on.
Replenish your emergency kit supplies that were used during the power outage.