Building a New Home

Maritime Electric wants to help make your new home project a success. By contacting Maritime Electric early in the planning process and telling us what electrical services you will require, we can plan and schedule the work so you have these services when you need them.

Or use our self-serve option for New Service Connect!

Criteria for Setting Up a New Service

The following are questions we will ask you to fulfil your new build electrical service needs. Ask your electrician or contractor for the answers you need before you call:

  • Is this your first contact with our office?
  • Do you have electrical service with us now?
  • What name should be listed on the account?
  • Who will be paying the charges?
  • Who is your electrician?
  • How soon are you looking for service?
  • What is the location of the service?
  • Is the lot staked where the building will be?
  • Is the temporary service on site yet?
  • Will you need both temporary and permanent service?
  • Facing the property, what side will the mast or wall mount be on?
  • What type of service are you setting up today?
  • Are you going to have electric heat? 100 or 200 amp service? Single or 3 phase?
  • Is there power running past the site now? If so, approximately how far away is it?
  • Are you having overhead or underground power lines?
  • What size of electrical entrance are you planning?
  • Do you have property tax number or parcel number? If so, what is it?

Once we have the answers to these questions, our Customer Service Representative will provide you a work order number. This work order number will be your and your contractor's reference number to request information or complete the service for the project.

Helpful Tips
  • Call us early into the construction planning process.
  • Always use the name under which your new account will be set up to prevent duplication.
  • Accurately describe the location of the construction. This should include the street address and lot number. If in a rural area, please provide a civic address.
  • If your property is located in one of the following municipalities: Alberton, Borden-Carleton, Brackley, Charlottetown, Cornwall, Kensington, Kinkora, Miscouche, O'Leary, Souris, Summerside, Stratford, Three Rivers (Georgetown & Montague area), Tignish, Victoria or Wellington, contact your local municipal office for information on how to get a civic address.
  • Please note depending on your payment history you may need to make a deposit.
  • Have your electrical contractor arrange for a "Pass Slip" through the Electrical Inspection Division of the Department of Communities, Land and Environment. For safety reasons, Maritime Electric requires the approved pass slip to schedule your service for connection.
Maximum Time Frames

Once the required documents and procedures are completed, your electrical service will be constructed within these (maximum) time frames:

Service Working Days
New Service 15
Temporary Service for Construction Purposes 10
Changing Temporary Service to Permanent Service 12
Line Extensions 30

Temporary Service Connection

A Temporary Service Connection is set up so your contractor has a power source to build your house.

Permanent Service Connection

Once your construction is complete, the temporary service is then connected permanently to the site. This transfer is called a temporary to permanent service connection.

If you have any questions, contact us!