Sustainability at Maritime Electric
Maritime Electric is a Canadian Electricity Association Sustainable Electricity Company™. This prestigious designation involves adhering to a number of international standards for environmental management and social responsibility. We are committed to responsible environmental, social and economic practices with the goal of creating a better future for generations to come. Sustainability is an integral part of our business today and for the future.
The Sustainable Electricity Company™ designation is based on the following pillars: Human Rights, Fair Operating Practices, Consumer Issues, Community Involvement & Development, Environment, Governance, and Labour Practices.
- Creating jobs for Islanders
- Donating to community groups and organizations who share our sustainability goal and values
- Continuing the Trees for Life program to plant hundreds of trees each year in communities across PEI
- Committing to renewable energy sources: 22-25% of electricity distributed by Maritime Electric comes from wind energy
- Expanding the Electric Vehicle (EV) charging station network on PEI
- Adding electric vehicles to the company fleet
- Increasing efficiency of our daily operations
- Off-setting carbon
- Tracking carbon footprint and reporting