Maritime Electric Releases 2023 Sustainability Report
July 27, 2023 – Charlottetown, PE – Today, Maritime Electric released its 2023 Sustainability Report. The report provides updated and expanded key performance indicators and highlights the Company’s progress in 2022. The Company produces a detailed report biennially, with the next iteration to be released in 2024.
“We are proud that 85 per cent of customer-supplied energy came from carbon-free sources in 2022,” said Jason Roberts, Maritime Electric President and CEO. “The decommissioning of the Charlottetown Thermal Generating Station represents the single largest contribution to the Company’s reduction in GHG emissions.”
2023 Sustainability Report highlights:
- Contributed $103 million directly to the local PEI economy
- Purchased 100 per cent of the wind energy generated by the PEI Energy Corporation
- Donated to 229 organizations, activities and events across PEI
- Saved over one million sheets of paper with 60 per cent of customers receiving bills electronically
- Invested over $700,000 in employee training and launched a new Leadership Development Program
- Achieved a Total Injury Frequency Rate of 1.12, below the Canadian average of 1.29
“Our team is dedicated to ensuring Maritime Electric remains strong, resilient and reliable for our customers. We are committed to powering a cleaner energy future for Islanders and we do so while ensuring affordability is considered in the decisions we make and the work we do,” said Roberts.
The full report can be viewed on Maritime Electric’s website at: www.maritimeelectric.com/sustainability/sustainability-report/2023-sustainability-report/
Since 1918 Maritime Electric has delivered electricity on Prince Edward Island, providing reliable service at a reasonable cost in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. For more information, visit maritimeelectric.com.