Is there a clear and safe pathway to your meter?
From time to time, a member of our Metering team may need to access your meter to:
- Take a reading of your electricity usage for bill accuracy
- Disconnect power for safety reasons in the event of an emergency
- Repair, remove or perform maintenance to the meter to ensure it meets current safety standards
Please make sure you keep the area around your meter clear and accessible so that it can be safely accessed when needed.
Here are some tips for keeping your meter accessible:
- Assess your property regularly for any potential safety hazards
- Keep the area around your meter clear and free of clutter or obstacles, including shrubs, trees or brush that may be hazardous or blocking the meter
- Clear any snow or ice that may interfere with accessing your meter safely
- Keep pets properly leashed or in a place that won’t interfere with accessing your meter safely
- If you are doing external renovations to your home, ensure that access to your meter is maintained (i.e. do not build a deck or fence that blocks access to your meter).
- Avoid locating propane or other fuel sources near your meter.
If you’re unsure if something is posing a safety hazard to our Metering team, contact us to ask!