Maritime Electric is the primary electricity service provider on Prince Edward Island. As a responsible member of the community Maritime Electric is committed to the environmental, social and economic pillars of sustainability while delivering value to shareholders and the communities served.
Maritime Electric will fulfill its commitments by:
- Operating in a manner that integrates sustainability into decision making and activities consistent with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) – ISO 26000 Guidance on Social Responsibility Standard while ensuring economic sustainability of Maritime Electric operations,
- Providing a healthy, safe and respectful workplace for employees and contractors while promoting and supporting a diverse and inclusive work environment,
- Protecting the environment and continually improving Maritime Electric’s environmental performance,
- Minimizing environmental impacts of facilities and operations, promoting environmental stewardship, sustainable consumption, energy conservation and adapting to climate change,
- Maintaining an integrated Health, Safety and Environmental Management System consistent with the requirements of the ISO 140001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018 international standards,
- Communicating and engaging with stakeholders and partners in an open, transparent and accountable manner and providing verifiable public reporting of sustainability performance,
- Meeting or exceeding all legal requirements relevant to business activities using fair, consistent and ethical business transactions, data protection and privacy,
- Encouraging sustainable consumption of electricity, delivering effective customer service and support and providing customers with electrical safety and environmental awareness.
- Investing in the electrical grid to renew and modernize to meet today’s and future energy needs to ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electricity in a cost effective manner,
- Building and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with Indigenous Peoples and communities based on trust and respect, and actively participating in social and economic development while respecting values, cultures and traditions,
- Ensuring continuous improvement of environmental, social and economic performance using effective management practices, reporting transparency and effective governance to maximize the contribution to sustainable development; and
- Setting sustainability goals and expectations and reporting on their status on an annual basis.