Maritime Electric Releases First Sustainability Report
July 28, 2022 – Charlottetown, PE – Today, Maritime Electric released its first Sustainability Report, which reports on the Company’s operations and guiding sustainability pillars for 2021. The report includes the Company’s new target to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 55% by 2030 and key performance indicators.
“This is an exciting and transformative time in our history with electrification and reducing our carbon footprint,” said Jason Roberts, Maritime Electric President and CEO. “As we work to deliver on this commitment for 2030, we are focused on delivering a sustainable energy future for our customers.”
2022 Sustainability Report Highlights:
- Received the Sustainable Electricity Leader™ designation from Electricity Canada
- Recognized as a top performer by Electricity Canada for safety performance
- 86% of the energy supplied to customers came from non-emitting energy sources
- Benchmarked Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 GHG emissions
- Developed target to reduce GHG emissions by 55% by 2030 (from 2019 levels)
- Decreased Scope 1 GHG emissions at the Charlottetown Thermal Generating Station by 87% (since 2015)
- Installed 50 Level 2 electric vehicle chargers in nine PEI communities
- Saved approximately 120,000 kWh through the LED street light replacement program
- Completed 94.6% of new service orders within five business days
- Donated to over 200 organizations, activities and events across PEI
- Achieved 58% of customers receiving electronic bills and saved over one million sheets of paper
- Directly contributed over $89.5 million to PEI’s economy including the purchase of $30 million of wind energy from PEI Energy Corporation
“We support the Government of PEI’s targets of net-zero energy by 2030 and net-zero by 2040. Our team is dedicated to ensuring Maritime Electric remains strong, resilient and reliable for our customers and for future generations,” said Roberts.
Maritime Electric owns and operates a fully integrated system providing for the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity to customers throughout Prince Edward Island. For more information on Sustainability at Maritime Electric, and to view the full report, visit our website at www.maritimeelectric.com.