Preparing for an Outage
Keep our phone number on hand to report power outages 24/7: 1-800-670-1012.
Charge all electronics and portable cell phone chargers.
Secure loose items around your yard.
If applicable, review generator information for safe use.
Fill propane tank and your vehicle's gas tank (charge your electric vehicle if applicable).
Check your first aid kit for expired products.
Refill any medications.
Check your sump pump and consider purchasing a backup battery.
Review emergency plan with your family.
Prepare an emergency kit and place it in an area that is easily accessible to you and your family.
The following is a list of emergency supplies to have in your emergency kit:
- Fresh water
- Flashlights and batteries
- A mechanical phone (one that operates from the phone wall jack)
- Battery-operated transistor radio and clock
- Portable cell phone charger
- Candles and waterproof matches or lighter
- Extra blankets, coats, hats and gloves
- Arctic sleeping bags (for winter)
- Plastic garbage bags
- First aid kit
- Non-perishable foods, such as canned and dried goods
- Disposable tableware and cutlery
- Manual can openers
- Bottled water
- A loud whistle (this may come in handy if you have to attract attention)