Health, Safety and Environmental Policy
Maritime Electric is the primary electricity service provider on Prince Edward Island. As a responsible member of the community, Maritime Electric is committed to:
- providing safe and healthy working conditions that will prevent injury and ill health for all employees, contractors and visitors, and
- continually improving Maritime Electric’s health and safety performance.
Every individual working for or on behalf of Maritime Electric shares a responsibility toward achieving these goals. Maritime Electric will pursue these goals by committing to:
HSE Management System
- An integrated health, safety and environmental management system (HSEMS) will be based on the requirements of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) – ISO 45001:2018 Occupational health and safety management systems and ISO 14001:2015 Environmental management system.
Fulfilment of Compliance Obligations
- Operations will be conducted in a manner that fosters community and stakeholder engagement, meets applicable legal requirements and recognizes industry standards.
Risk Assessment and Mitigation
- Maritime Electric will identify its health and safety risks and opportunities, assess their impact to worker health and safety and act to mitigate negative impacts whilst pursuing positive improvements.
- Realistic and measurable goals for improving health and safety performance will be established, monitored and communicated to all employees.
- Employees will be provided with appropriate training and supervision to ensure they have the necessary tools and support to complete their job functions safely and responsibly. Training will include the duty for all employees to follow established work practices that protects all stakeholders.
- Contractors will be selected based on their competence and their ability to meet established criteria and responsibilities in support of the HSEMS.
- Consultation and participation from all business functions and at all levels within the organization will be encouraged to improve the effectiveness of the HSEMS.
Public Safety Awareness
- Maritime Electric will provide the general public with awareness of potential risks associated with its operations.